Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Poets in Port, January 25, 2008

Poets in Port will feature JoAnn Proscia at 7:30 pm on Friday, January 25, 2008 at Caffé Portofino, 249 Main St., Northport, opposite the theatre. There will also be an Open Reading — the audience is encouraged to bring their poems and participate. For more information, contact Steven Schmidt.

JoAnn Proscia JoAnn Proscia studies Creative Writing at Suffolk Community College. She is a member of LIPC Peer Workshop at Huntington Public Library and the Northport Chorale. She lives in Northport.

Svegliati (Wake Up)


1
I speak Italian to no one in particular
Amore, avventura, affetto
Are words I like to use
Svegliati, I like to say.

2
Two women in a row
Read poems about dead brothers
And I realize I have never written one for you, caro fratellino.

Lying on the hard, cold table waiting to take my stress test
Paura di morire that something might be wrong
I heard your laugh
You know, the one that mocks and chides me for being a “scaredy cat”

And at the beach, I looked up and there we were children again
Digging for clams and catching killies
Again I hear your laugh
All ticklish and giggly this time
As the young woman we both loved plays with us
And lifts you up over the waves and onto her shoulders.

3
Io sono proprio come mia nonna
I live in the same apartment as my grandmother did
88-12 Liberty Avenue, Ozone Park
Right near the el
You could see it from her window
Everything rattled.
I have the same lace curtains
Listen to the opera on her radio and cry
Select fruits and vegetables from the stand
With her careful hands
Pray to Saint Anthony when something’s lost
Speak Italian to my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home